Meet the talented people that make Vancouver Art Space the place to #getcreative
Listed below are individual Bio’s with details about our diverse group of artist instructors, in no particular order.
Jane teaches bookbinding classes for adults and children. She also holds workshops in the art of Small Soft Block Printing.
Jane Arnal has been working in soft-block printmaking for over 20 years. She also works in mixed media collage and is an accomplished painter, both acrylic and oils. She creates exceptional, thought provoking and quirky mixed media pieces. Her art philosophy is: “I would rather my work be peculiar than beautiful.”
- BA Occidental College
- MA California State University
- Somerset Studio magazine
- Cloth Paper Scissors magazine
- Expressions magazine
- Rubberstamp Madness magazine
- Art Stamping Workshop
- Gloria Page, Northlight Books 2006
- Rubber Stamp Carving
- Luann Udell, Lark Books, 2002
Jane has also self published two books:
- The Ancient Book of Grombolia Rhyme
- Poetry and Illustrations
- Playing in the Middle of the Yard: A Memoir
Jane has shown her work in California, Oregon and Washington. She is a member of the Radio Amateur Press Society (RAPS) featured in the book Rubber Soul by Sandra M. Posey, Univ. of Mississippi Press 1996.
Carolyn teaches our Beginning Watercolor classes on Saturday mornings as well as our Intermediate/Advanced Watercolor classes on Thursday mornings. She also does periodic specialty workshops, such as, Intro to Encaustics, Mixed Media Magic and coming in January, Calligraphy
Fluent in Oils, Acrylics, Mixed Media, Encaustic and Watercolor, Carolyn brings her images to life with considerable technical skills. Her understanding of emotional beauty defines each piece. This combination adds up to a cabinet full of First Place & Best of Show ribbons.
- been published in “How Did You Paint That?” by
North Light Books
- American Artist magazine national award winner
- directed SW Washington Arts Festival at Lower Columbia College (7 yrs)
- owned/operated and contributed art to Iron Door Gallery, Murphys CA
- competed, won, & designed wine labels in competition
- is currently showing in galleries (large & small) across the country
- has an upcoming solo show here at Vancouver Art Space
- currently offering a watercolor Sip & Paint at Say Ciao restaurant here in Vancouver.
Organizations & Associations:
- Society of Washington Artists
- 2nd Place & Honorable Mention Fall 2018
- 1st Place Spring 2018
- SW Washington Watercolor Society
- Honorable Mention Fall 2018
- Mosaic Arts Alliance
- Town Hall Art Gallery, Copperopolis CA
- Fairweather Gallery, Seaside OR
- Vancouver Art Space, Vancouver WA
Carolyn shares her philosophy, technical skills, and experience with her students here at Vancouver Art Space. We are lucky to have her as part of our growing community. Be sure to check out the variety of classes she offers.
Here are examples of Carolyn’s work in watercolor and encaustic:
Kathryn currently immerses herself in the world of digital art and mixed media painting. With the invention of the iPad, a whole new world opened for her. She finds it an incredibly versatile and powerful new medium to create art.
“I love being creative and stimulated by this new medium. I am now able to combine my love of technology (pixels) with paint. “The result is a collage of layered art, created using the newest art form of digital painting and traditional art.
Kathryn is one of the early adapters of using an iPad to create art. She will often create an archival reproduction and add mixed media to create a new version of the original digital art.
She grew up in South Africa and left there when she was 25. Having just got married to her husband, Nick, they moved to the USA. Both are now American citizens and have lived here in the US for 32 years.
Over the years Delany had occasion to live in Europe and all over the US. That gave her further opportunity to take art classes, workshops, study at museums and get a good exposure to different cultures and societies.
In the mid 1990’s the couple moved to Portland. For about 16 years Kathryn was a successful decorative painter and muralist and believes this journey has made her a better artist.
2018 Society of Washington Artists, Honorable Mention, Sing Me A Song, digital painting;
2016 Society of Washington Artists, 1st Place mixed media – A letter to my Love II
2016 Society of Washington Artists, 3rd Place oily/acrylic – The Gatherer
Cat Whipple is an award winning digital and mixed media collage artist whose work incorporates vintage images and photos from long ago. Her subject matter currently focuses on cats, flowers, and fairy girls. She teaches Photoshop courses for artists on Udemy.com, and mixed media collage courses at Vancouver Art Space. You can find some of her artwork on FineArtAmerica.com
Cat teaches our Art Journaling For Girls class on Saturdays Click here for more info.
Professional Visual Artist, Painter and Lover of Pencils, otherwise known as Conjure Fine Art.
Jodeen currently teaches our Paint Your Pet Sunday’s sessions. We are looking forward to adding new Color Pencil classes coming in 2019.
Artist at Conjure Fine Art
- Studied Fine Arts and Art Studies at Cornish College of the Arts
- Studied Art history at Washington State University
- Attended Stevenson High School
- Lives in Vancouver, Washington
Sign up for Hilarie’s upcoming Portrait Drawing classes:
Hilarie’s art educational background includes being tutored by some very notable artists, such as Dan Gerhartz, Carolyn Anderson, Zhaoming Wu, Casey Baugh, Max Ginsburg, and Rose Frantzen, to name a few.
She has been greatly influenced by the Impressionist movement of the mid 1800’s to the early 1900s and most notably, the Russian Impressionists. This is in keeping with her own heritage.
Hilarie believes that all the experiences in her life translate to her canvas and inform her work today.
Hilarie Couture’s art is gaining interest with new collectors all over the country. She is represented by Attic Gallery, Camas, Washington, Rj Gallery, Mcminnville, Oregon, Regency Parkway Art in Omaha, Nebraska and Gault Gallery in Ashland, Oregon.
Last year Hilarie curated her own local show, painting 49 portraits of women. Women who have made significant contributions to our community. She wrote the book Founding Mothers’ Portraits of Progress to document the project.
- She has participated in various national group and solo shows ( listed below)
- Hilarie has won numerous awards for her work (listed below)
- Hilarie loves giving back and sharing what she has learned, through workshops
- Accepts commissions for portraits in her studio/gallery in Vancouver, Washington.
Juried Public Exhibitions
- 2018 NW Pastel Society Members show, Kirkland, Washington
- 2018 NW Pastel Society International show, American Art Company, Tacoma, Washington
- 2018 International Pastel Society Show, American Art Company, Tacoma, Washington
- 2018 Celebration of Creativity, Beaverton, Oregon
- 2018 Scottsdale Artists School, Best and Brightest 2018 show, Scottsdale artists School,
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- 2017 Holiday Small Works Show, National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society, Cathy Kline
- Gallery, Parkville, Missouri
- 2017 Northwest Pastel Society Members Show, Portland, Oregon
- 2017 Northwest Pastel Society, International Show, American Art Company, Tacoma,
- 2016 Women Artists of the West, Annual Show, Fredericksburg, Texas
- 2015/2017 People’s Art, Big 500 show, Portland, Oregon
- 2015 Clark County Open Studios, Vancouver, Washington
- 2015 Broderick Gallery, Longview, Washington, Regional Artists
2018 Nw Pastel Society members show, jurors award
2018 Nw Pastel Society International show, jurors award
2018 Bold Brush fav 15
2017 Bold Brush fav 15 and outstanding pastel finalist
2017 Art Muse Contest, Finalist Emerging Artist August /September
2017 Heaven Art Gallery, first place Love category, Scottsdale, Arizona
2016 Northwest Oil Painters Guild Annual Show , first Place, Third Place and Sponsor
award, Vancouver, Washington
2016/2018 Society of Washington Artists Spring show, Best of show, 2nd Place Oil Painting, 3rd place , Vancouver, Washington
2015 Oil Painters Guild Annual Show, Best of show, 2 Sponsor awards, Vancouver,
2015 Clark County Fair, first place, Vancouver, Washington
Laura K Bray
Artist Laura Bray lives and works in Washington state with her husband, their twelve year old daughter, and a guinea pig named Oreo. Laura believes everyone can live a life of creativity and intention and she is dedicated to helping people of all ages experience the joy of creativity. You can see more of her work at www.laurabraydesigns.com
Barbara Sheehan, Owner & Instructor
Meet Barbara Dianne Sheehan, the Owner of this exciting endeavor. Barbara has over 40 years experience designing, painting, and working in the creative arts. She has owned and operated an exclusive fine art and art furniture gallery, a custom home remodeling and design firm, and since graduating from Pacific NW College of Art in 1996, with a BA degree in Painting, has worked as an independent artist.
From 1996 to 2001 Barbara was a founding member of PBNJ Studios, a group of artists committed to the fine arts community in SE Portland. Her work includes oil paintings, pastels, computerized/digital and photography collages – generally experimenting with materials and visuals.
Barbara has been professionally represented by ArtReps Richard Brooks, as well as Mary McCay at Directional Publishing Inc. Her paintings have been featured in solo and group shows in Portland Oregon, New York City, and Ballyvaughan, Ireland.
For a peek at more examples of original work by Barbara, click here.